I call these miracle photos.
There were 5 rolls of 35mm waiting to be developed so, as not to waste chemicals I decided to shoot a roll on the Holga. Nothing terribly exciting, set up the tripod and flash against our chalkboard wall. Mike and I made lots of faces and even pulled Maeby in on a few. I even had a yard stick on the floor to make sure we were the proper distance from the lens.
After finishing the roll I noticed the focus wasn’t set correctly. It was set to group shot instead of portrait. I thought to myself, “well, shit”. I proceeded thinking maybe they will turn out cool anyway and I can just pretend I totally meant for the entire roll to be out of focus.
Next, I head into the garage where I do all my film loading and turn all the lights out. It takes me 30 stinking minutes to load 2 rolls because of I-don’t-even-know-what! Once that battle was over I stand up to feel my way to the door and notice the fire alarm red light flashing and also the light switch was glowing. Neither piece made enough light to be detected by my eyes, but again I thought to myself “well, shit”.
Moving on, I gather all the chemicals to develop. I pour in the developer and set the timer for 6.25 minutes. I agitate the film every minute and when the time is up I pour out the developer and start to add the stop bath. Except it wasn’t stop, I had just let my film sit in the stop instead of developer because my labeled caps got mixed up. That accident actually helped pull out the shadow details, so not a total loss :)
Somehow, all the mistakes I made ended up working out and I learned a few things.
The group setting on my Holga has a focus length of 3 ft., not 6 ft. like the manual states. Wrestling with my film under faint blinking lights isn’t as detrimental to 35mm tri-x as I thought (even so, I’m black taping that little bastard). Lastly, washing your film in stop for 6 minutes doesn’t make it melt into a pile of mush, it helps bring out shadow details!
Learning is fun, you guys!!